It looks like this winter has been epic for a lot of folks. Some truly amazing video's have surfaced this year. I'm thrilled the trend here has been moving towards great video quality, and low-key music which lets the action speak for itself. A strong departure from the Warren Miller films I grew up with usually set to Punk Rock.
As temps plunge deeper and deeper and most of the country is blanketed under one of the largest winter storms in history I think we're all feeling like this winter's never going to end. This week's Found Friday will make you hope it never does.
- SoCal Hikes covered a winter ascent of the Baldy Bowl and a suh-weet glissade down. I'm envious.
- John from Mountain Ultra Light took a trip up to Turtlehead Peak out in the desert near Las Vegas.
- Think the skiing back east is all ice? The Mountain Murmur posted a ski video from Mad River Glen, VT which is all powder!
- Amy over at GearCaster previewed the Jetboil Sol the next generation of lightweight backpacking stoves from Jetboil.
- Backpacker Mag can teach you how to pitch a tent anywhere.
- The Adventure Blog posted a review of some Polarmax Base Layers.
- Gearcaster (based in Marin) highlighted the North Face Powder Guide Vest, a nice little alternative to a backpack for winter.
- Gear Tested reviewed the Arctic Yowie, a headband with perhaps the uglist pattern I've ever seen.
- GearJunkie gave high marks to Khunu's Chimera Yak Wool Sweater - supposedly warmer than merino wool, stronger than cashmere, and more expensive as well.
- MyOutdoorsLife posted a great review of the discount gear website LeftLane Sports. It's a must read if you're thinking about buying from them
- Attaching an ice axe to a backpack isn't as obvious as you would think. Take the time and let Philip from Sectionhiker.com show you how.
- John from Mountain Ultralight reminds us that heavier can sometimes be lighter.
- Photographer John Wall delivers his February preview I especially love everything in it.
- Imagine Childhood is giving away a $75 Gift Certificate, I see snowshoes with my name on em!
- Hendrik gives us his thoughts on the forest.
- Edie of The View From the Little Red Tent shot a timelapse of the sunset on Yosemite's Horsetail Falls.
Want your Video or Blog featured here? Shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org